Volunteering at L’Arche Belfast
Are you optimistic, enthusiastic and persevering? Do you believe every human being has a unique gift to share with the world? Are you willing to take care of someone else and let that person touch your heart and change your life? If yes, then this opening might be for you.
For further information please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
> Live in Volunteer Application: Download Microsoft Word File
- L’Arche Belfast are actively looking for live-in assistants to join their thriving community. We need people who are willing to spend a year in Northern Ireland living in a L’Arche home with adults who have intellectual disabilities, the core members of the community, sharing life, laughter, and friendship.
- In L’Arche, mutual relationships are very important. As a live-in assistant, you will provide hands-on assistance with daily living skills, finances, and health care and you will be supported and cared for by our core members. This is much more than a job; what we offer at L’Arche is an exceptional and life changing adventure in friendship and self-discovery.
- As a member of the L’Arche household you will accompany core members in their activities of daily life, helping them as needed, discovering who they are, and developing a relationship with them and with other members of the household and the community.
- In return for the gifts you’ll bring, you will discover a very simple and honest joy in the relationships you build with other people, both with and without intellectual disabilities. That is what makes L’Arche so unique.
- Live-in assistants receive food, accommodation, formation, holiday time and a personal allowance. In addition, they are offered a minimum of four training sessions throughout the year to improve their skills in areas such as emergency first aid, manual handling, food hygiene, MAPA and working in a diverse community.
In a world that rewards success and winning, L’Arche communities are places where people can take time to explore who they are, not just what they can do. They are places of welcome where people are transformed by the experience of community, relationship, disability and difference.
Whatever your stage of life, and whatever your background and experience, L’Arche has something to offer – and so do you.
Whoever you are, in return for the gifts you’ll bring, you will discover a very simple and honest joy in the relationships you build with people with and without learning disabilities.
If you live locally and would like to become involved with L’Arche we have many volunteering opportunities.
- If you have IT or administration skills your help would be appreciated in the L’Arche office.
- Fundraising is an on-going task and your help would be much appreciated.
- If you have a few hours to spare each week you could become a befriender to one of our Core Members.
- Root Soup is our dynamic cookery project. It is part of an overall ‘Field to Fork’ initiative, offering training and employment opportunities across the food chain i.e. growing, preparation and catering.
- In Other Words is our art project. The groups currently meet two afternoons a week for two hours to work on a variety of projects: individual pieces, commissioned works and market crafts. Participants use a variety of media – paint, clay, mosaic or household materials allowing connection through art.
- Green Buds is a group of people of varying ages and ability-levels who meet every week at a large allotment at Vista Allotments in the Castlereagh hills. If you enjoy gardening, this could be the project for you!
- Beautify the Neighbourhood is our new horticultural project which started in April 2019.
- L’Arche holds many community events and the help of volunteers is invaluable.
> Volunteer Application: Download Microsoft Word File